Citrus & Snapdragon flower Autumn Salad
We all love a good salad, but have you ever tried a Citrus & Snapdragon Flower Autumn Salad? Give this recipe a go, you won’t be disappointed.
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup Snapdragon flowers in varied colours – calyces removed (and checked for creatures inside!)
- ½ cup Pansy, Viola or Dianthus flowers – checked as above
- 1 Rosy Grapefruit, peeled and segmented, (or Naartjie or Orange)
- Salad leaves from the wall and / or the garden: some rocket, mustard (red / green), tat soi, lettuce, baby spinach, snippets of sprouted seeds or seedlings like radish, kale, fennel etc..
- Shavings of Gruyere cheese or similar.
- Honey and mustard vinaigrette to dress.
Make up the vinaigrette with the following:
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of runny Honey
- 1 Table spoon hot prepared or Dijon Mustard (according to how strong you like your mustard)
- Freshly ground Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a resealable glass bottle and shake well. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
What to do:
Placed washed and dried leaves into a bowl.
Tuck grapefruit segments in between the leaves and sprinkle the flowers over.
Toss over the cheese shavings and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Enjoy with a cheese board or a crusty loaf of fresh bread.